Italian Wedding Soup
Delicious chicken broth-based soup with flavorful meatballs, veggies and escarole!
Author: Tracy Bertram
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 6 - 8
- 2 lbs Ground Pork
- 2Tbs Bacon Fat (saved and stored in the refrigerator from previously cooked bacon)
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp White Pepper, ground
- 2 tsp dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Turmeric (optional, great anti-inflammatory herb)
- 2 tsp ground Milk Thistle (optional, boosts liver function)
- 1Tbs Garlic, chopped
- 1 Onion, minced
- 2 large Carrots, chopped (or 2 handfuls baby carrots)
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- ½ bunch fresh Parsley
- 1 head Escarole or Spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 8 - 12 cups Organic Chicken Broth
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Defrost Chicken Broth.
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt bacon fat and cook garlic and onions until tender and translucent.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, gently combine pork, salt, pepper, oregano, and sautéed garlic and onions. Use a small spoon to scoop out the mixture and roll into balls, placing in baking pan. Cook in oven for 30 mins or until browned.
- Add carrots and celery to chicken broth. Return to a boil.
- Add browned meatballs to soup.
- Add the escarole or spinach and parsley, stir.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
This soup is very comforting! As medicine, it is great for disgestive issues or colds and flu. Great served with Nutty Bacon Acorn Squash.